Monday, November 22, 2010

Snow

Yesterday we had our first real snowfall of the year. The first to leave a blanket of beautiful, fluffy, white snow on the ground. As I watched it fall yesterday it got me thinking about how out of the trillions of snowflakes that have fallen in my lifetime no two have been found that are exactly alike. Beautiful little things that even when they are clumped together are still individual and unique. I started looking at pictures of snowflakes and out of the hundred or so that I found each one was different. Some were similar, but not an exact copy. Each snowflake is perfect even in it's imperfection.

Now what does this have to do with anything? Well, it also got me thinking that we are like that. There are no two people on this earth that are exactly alike. We are all individual and unique. Some of us may look similar, but there are no exact copies. Some of us are simple. No bells and whistles. Nothing entirely spectacular. Not as pretty as some of the others. Some of us are grand and beautiful with many amazing details.

If we have a Heavenly Father who is detail oriented enough to make it so that no two snowflakes are alike, doesn't it make sense that we, who are His children are just as special. He made us in his image and he wants us to be happy. Being happy is easier said than done, I'm afraid. But those moments of unhappiness are what I like to call make or break moment. We are forced to either turn over all of our worries and fears and have faith or give up and try to do it alone. I have tried both routes and still find myself fighting to do the first. Having faith is hard sometimes when things are hard to handle. Case in point, I am 27 and single. I never thought that I would be one who was single for this long. Most of the time the optimist I thought I would find someone who could look past my plain outside and see the beauty within. That hasn't happened yet. Sometimes my faith waivers and I left in a make it or break it moment.
And so, even thought I feel like the snowflake above, kind of simple but possessing a beauty all of it's own, I wait. Knowing that I have a Father in Heaven who loves me. Who made me to be like Him. A precious and unique queen in my own right. Born to stand out.
And some day, maybe there will be someone who sees me like the snowflake above. Beautiful and grand.

2 comments:

  1. After our talk last night, I wanted to voice some of my thoughts, too. However, the words just didn't come. When I read this, I just knew that some of those were given to you. Thank you for your beautiful post. It reminds me of Pres. Monson's talk in the RS meeting (just one quote I want to remind you of, though: I ask: if attitudes, deeds, and spiritual inclinations were reflected in physical features, would the countenance of the woman who complained be as lovely as that of the woman she criticized?).

    Sometimes it's not very easy is it?

    You are one of the most beautiful women that I know, Shannon. I do pray that someday when the time is right that there will be a wonderful guy who is able to see that, too. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an observation....
    I found it interesting that you chose what you called the "simple" but beautiful snowflake as a representation of yourself. What an amazing and wonderful woman you must be! I look forward to meeting you someday. For you see, if you look closely at even the most grand and elaborate snowflakes, you'll see at the center of each that simple, beautiful design. Stay true to yourself.

    ReplyDelete