Thursday, February 18, 2010

Forever Friends


I was talking today with a guy I work with about his relationship with his girlfriend. We talked about how he felt like they didn't get the opportunity to be friends before they started seriously dating. As we talked I started thinking about all of the couples I know that have good relationships and I discovered that they all had one major thing in common... They are all married to their best friends. All day today I have been thinking about friends and the role that they have played in my life. No matter what time of my life I think about my friends are tied in there somewhere. My friends have played an intergral part of my life. They were there for the good times, they were there for the bad times, sometimes causing both. I have been blessed to have the friends that I have. Not all of them have stuck around in my life but they had an impact no matter how short they were part of it. I think it can be summed up by the lyrics to my favorite song from Wicked...


I've heard it said That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led To those who help us most to grow If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today Because I knew you...
Like a comet pulled from orbit As it passes a sun Like a stream that meets a boulder Halfway through the wood Who can say if I've been changed for the better? But because I knew you I have been changed for good


It well may be That we will never meet again In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine By being my friend...


Like a ship blown from its mooring By a wind off the sea Like a seed dropped by a skybird In a distant wood Who can say if I've been changed for the better? But because I knew you I have been changed for good.


I just love that. I love my friends. They are amazing. And someday, I want to marry my best friend. And then we will be friends forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment